Saturday, February 16, 2002

Today I took an insanely long drive. Why? I don't even know why, really. I was planning on going on a nice long hike, but the thing was, I couldn't really find a good trail. I thought surely there must be some obscure state park along I-10 with a bunch of underused hiking trails. But alas, there was no such park. So I ended up just driving around and wasting a lot of gas. I took a nap in my car, and it was surprisingly comfortable, even though when I woke up I felt like my pants were burning a hole into my thigh.
Friday I went to the career fair. It was funny to see all the CS majors dressed up to impress the recruiters. Usually, they are dressed in the same jeans-and-T-shirt uniform every day. Making small talk at a career fair really is an art. "So, you're interested in our company?" Well, yeah. But if you're really not interested, what do you say then? "No, I was just passing by, and I have no desire to be in the army or test nuclear weapons." ? "Are you graduating this year?" "No." "OK, well nice talking to you. Come back in two years." It scares me to think of getting a real job. Having to leave home. Having real pressure and responsibilities. I'm kind of afraid that college is just too easy, and when I get into the "real world", I'm going to sink and become a failure. Or stay at one comfortable job for 30 years and realize that I've contributed nothing to the world. Or that I'll become a workaholic robot and have no soul. Or that I'll get laid off and be forced to live with my mother forever. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home