This weekend I thought about a concept I had kept out of my mind for the longest time: mortality. Meaning the transitory nature of this life and the immortal nature of God. I went hiking on Saturday, and just being in the mountains made the problems of society seem very small in comparison, and my own personal problems seem positively miniscule. Contact with ancient things like mountains makes all things human seem young and new. The mountains were here long before humans appeared on earth and will be here long after all humans have ceased to exist.
Then there was Pastor S----'s sermon on the nature of God's love. God is love. God = Love. Unconditional love- isn't that what everyone is looking for? Unless, of course, God doesn't exist and people have just made all this stuff up so they won't feel so alone. Viewing this objectively, my mind says that is probably the case. But my lonely heart resonated with joy when he said that, despite what my mind believes, and I felt that maybe there is a God after all. I started crying and I ran out to the car. Suddenly it seemed clear as dawn- love- that's the hole in my life. I'm sad because I don't have love in my life.
So what's the point of this? Tying these two episodes together, it is that, if mountains seem immortal, then God is more immortal still. Human lives pass away and mountains remain, and when the mountains pass away, God will remain. Scary stuff. Poorly worded, but a deep thought. A deep thought clumsily expressed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home