Wednesday, February 02, 2005

One thing my dad tried to teach me and my sisters as we were growing up was how to make phone calls. If we were going to the movies, Dad would hand one of us the phone and tell us to call the theater to find out the movie times. My typical reaction was to get all embarrassed and say, "No, you do it, Daddy." Once on a family vacation when I was about 9, Dad asked me to order room service. I did it this time, after a little protesting. I called room service and ordered breakfast. I was nervous but I tried to keep my voice level and pretend that I did this all the time. When the person on the line asked how I was going to pay, I said, "Charge it to the room", because that's what my dad told me to say. At that age I didn't even know you could do that, that you didn't have to have cash or checks or a credit card ready. I got through the phone call without the woman on the other line bringing up my age. I even thought I might have fooled her into thinking I was an adult. Then she asked me, do your parents know that you're ordering this? I said yes, and she accepted that. It was done, no further questions asked. I hung up the phone, amazed at the power I had. The power to order room service. What if I had lied, and I was just some kid playing a prank? She would never know.

Looking back on it, I can see why my dad did used to force us to talk on the phone even when we hated it. It was a neat little lesson, I realize 14 years later, because as an adult I do so much of that. I talk to people on the phone or in person, ask them for information or favors or whatever, and I do it in spite of that little voice that says I'm just a kid, or that I'm inexperienced and no one will take me seriously. I think my dad was trying to teach us how to be assertive, that if we act like we're supposed to be there then people will treat us as if we're supposed to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home