Monday, August 15, 2005

I was in about the crappiest mood ever yesterday. I really did not want to go to church. I hate being tired and church starts at the early hour of 10 AM, which doesn't sound early but when go to bed at 2 AM, it cuts off a few necessary hours of rejuvenating sleep. Plus I'm having serious doubts about religion, which I have mentioned before, and going to church makes me feel like an impostor. I go because my mom goes and if I said to her that I don't want to attend church any more, she would be pretty upset. I would also feel guilty staying home and sleeping in while my mom and sister went to church without me. So yesterday I dragged myself there like I do every Sunday.

Anyway the sermon was on forgiveness. Bless those who curse you. Wish good things for the people who have done horrible things to you. That is what Jesus taught and what he demonstrated in his life and death. It's a revolutionary idea, really, since it is exactly opposite of what human nature dictates. Revenge is like a reflex, someone hurts you, your first reaction is to hurt them back. Despite all my doubts about Christianity, there is something so right and perfect about the concept of forgiveness that my argumentative mind shuts down when I think about it.