Tuesday, June 03, 2003

One of my assignments is to write about where I want to be ten years from now. Ten years? How about one year? Six months ago I said I wanted to be a magazine writer. The year before that I wanted to be a bioinformatics scientist. Now I don't want to be anything, lol. The truth is, I love writing. It is the only somewhat productive thing I can do for hours and not get bored out of my mind, and I have been told that I have at least some aptitude for it. So why not try to become a writer? Maybe this sounds snooty, but I guess I feel that it is not a *real* profession. A real profession would be a software engineer or programmer, a research scientist, a project manager. Work has to be hard and dirty and tiresome. The salary must be 40 or 50k with benefits. I must move to a major urban center and report to a cubicle every day. Voila, I am a successful person.
For the past year or so, I have had virtually no enthusiasm for my "future career." Every job is a sham, money makes the world go 'round, and it is the bottom line for any place you go to work. Sure, I could become a writer but get paid very little, or very little compared to what a CS job would pay. So I am still undecided, you didn't really expect me to decide the path for the rest of my life, did you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home