Sunday, February 27, 2005

Hillary for President? She's got my vote. But sadly, I don't think she'd win in a nation that re-elected George W. Bush.

I was in full "Betty Homemaker" mode this weekend, as my sister puts it. I made oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday and then today I made a full dinner of baked chicken and rice with sauteed vegetables. There's something very satisfying about home-cooked food. Much better than junk food, in so many ways.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my future career. There was a career expo on Friday, and I didn't go. I scanned the list of companies that would be attending, and I didn't see anything that interested me. I am very apprehensive about moving to another city just for a job. I don't think I'd be willing to do that. My family is here, I don't want to leave them. Plus I think this is a nice place to live. On the other hand, the career opportunities are limited. I don't see too many opportunities for the things I am being trained in for my master's degree. And I have zero experience, so even the few jobs in my field that I might be able to get are out of reach for now. And then there's that which I don't want to acknowledge, which is that I don't know if I'm cut out for this supposed career path and that I might want to do something else.

It's probably not worth losing much sleep over. I don't need to plan every detail of my life out in advance. I have to do what is going to make me happy. If that means I'm going to keep living in this city and miss out on possible career opportunities, well, so be it. If that means switching to a career that is more fulfilling but lower-paying, that's OK, too. Of course I'm worried about the future, but it's going to be OK. If all else fails I have my parents as a safety net, and that is a very nice thing to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home