I'm listening to the Beatles' number one hits CD, inspired by hearing the song Revolution on the radio on the way home. I had forgotten about that song. The electric guitar intro of that song always shocks me. Hello, that's why the song is called Revolution. A revolution is rude and shocking and in-your-face.
It was pretty cool to discover the Beatles at age 16. It was like discovering a big secret. I used to own an album with some of the Beatles' lesser known songs, like Revolution, Old Brown Shoe and Across the Universe, and somehow listening to those songs made me super-cool and very sophisticated. I watched the Beatles Anthology at around the same time I bought that CD, out of a curiosity to know what transpired back in the '60s. I thought I was so smart back then, a budding Beatles aficionado. Now I look back and think, who cares? Learning about the Beatles isn't much of a priority in my life right now, to say the least. Still, for what it's worth, I'm glad I know more about the Beatles than the words to Hey Jude, like that at the end of Strawberry Fields John says I killed Paul, and that John and Yoko got married at Gibraltar as sung in the Ballad of John and Yoko. And I'm glad I discovered the song Back in the USSR because it is way cool, and that the background of Paperback Writer sounds like the pounding of keys on a typewriter.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home