Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I didn't work today. I got to see Lost and the World Series. Sorry, baggiegenes, your team lost.

I finished A History of God by Karen Armstrong. I use the term "finished" loosely because the last 100 pages or so I just skimmed. I was expecting to read the book and find that it mostly advocated atheism and the idea that God is just an illusion. But that is not what happened. More than ever I believe God is real, and that it's no accident that most major religions have the same ideas about God. It was such an interesting book even if it got tedious at times. There are so many ways to look at God, through reason, through symbolic principles, through mysticism. As a kid I was always taught that other religions were wrong, that they were simplistic and the followers of those religions focused on rules and good works to get them into heaven. But that's not the whole story and I think I'm more open to other perspectives about God, especially in Islam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home