So this morning I went to see an advisor for the graduate program in Rhetoric and Writing Studies at UTEP. That's right, the English Department. I dressed up for the first time in weeks, in black pants and a bright turquoise top I "borrowed" from my mom, I blew dry my hair. I thought I looked professional.
I walked across campus in uncomfortable shoes. I asked for the room number- 315. I walked up three flights of stairs. And I came to the room and she saw me and invited me in, this English professor/advisor. I asked a million questions. Financial aid. Types of classes. Internships. Admissions. I skimmed over my background, thinking "I'm sick of computers" would be just a little too blunt as to my reasons for perhaps wanting to do this.
And I left with a good feeling. Peaceful. Like maybe this is something I need to do. Contrast this with how I went into grad school the first time, full of dread and not really knowing what I was doing or how it would fit into my future. I finally feel like I'm moving forward with my life and that's a really, really good feeling.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home