Sunday, May 01, 2005

Hey people. It's the first day of May, my favorite month of the year. I'm in such a great mood that I got inspired to pull my guitar out of the closet and attempt to play it. There are exactly three songs I remember how to play: "Autumn Leaves", "Dust in the Wind", and "Hotel California". Kind of pathetic since I took guitar lessons for two years. Still it is good that I remember anything at all since I haven't played in about a year.

The last guitar lesson I took was in 2001. I got busy with work and I finally just quit since I figured it was a waste of money. Truth is, even when I wasn't so busy I didn't get much enjoyment from it, and it was clear I didn't have much natural talent for it. I took lessons mostly out of obligation: I had this really nice guitar and I didn't want it to just be taking up space in the corner of my bedroom. I liked being able to play songs like "Brown-Eyed Girl" and "Hotel California" but I found that I really didn't have the patience for more challenging things like classical or jazz pieces. When I think back on what a lousy player I was- my technique was all wrong, I didn't practice, if a part was challenging instead of working on it that was the part I skipped over- it kind of makes me want to take more lessons, to do some justice to the music I was attempting to play. To prove that I have grown up some and I can do better, that I get the point of music beyond the notes on the page.

1 Comments:

Blogger B said...

may isn't so bad, but here on the coast it is the rainy season.

i hear you about the guitar thing...there are lots of things i did as a kid i wish i could go back and try again now that i am more grown up and understand what it's about.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home